Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Hopefully, Sanity Prevails

This past Saturday, me and 200,000 other people assembled at the National Mall for the Rally to Restore Sanity And/Or Fear. This is how nuts it was:

Friday

BOOM! Saturday

Now, lots of people have asked me how the rally was for me. Truthfully, it was very cramped and uncomfortable because I was constantly surrounded by people taller than me and I really couldn't see a thing. I also got pretty cranky because I didn't eat before going, and I was jealous of the people who were standing near trees.


They were multiplying like bunnies! That's the same tree!

Despite being vertically-challenged, I am so happy to have gone, and was so proud of having been there to actually experience and support it. More than that, I was amazed at the turnout. It wasn't just young college-aged kids! There were a ton of older people, a ton of Southern accents and I was just so happy to have my preconceived notions about these two groups be wrong.

Since then, I haven't really paid attention to Internet chatter about the rally. Hell, I was there – why should I read some other person's analysis of it? However, someone mentioned to me that he was disappointed that it was mostly performances and not much political commentary. Frankly, I think having that expectation of the rally really misses the point of it.

When I heard about this back in September, it wasn't the prospect of the evisceration of conservatives (or Glenn Beck) that compelled me to rearrange my weekend plans (I had to be at a wedding in Texas on the 31st.) For me, it was an opportunity to show that I am one of the people in America who is disturbed by all the mindless shouting that we've been exposed to for the past two years. Seriously, I wouldn't have cared if all Stewart & Co. did was stand on stage and read the phone book. I was just so happy to be surrounded by people who felt that all the shouting and stupid punditry of the past two years has been harmful to our country. I mean, I sincerely hope that news organizations will get the message: We actually care about the news and we want you to rise above the fray. Stop grabbing at the lowest-hanging fruit.

The other message: Not all Americans are angry. Many of us also stand for progressive values and are willing to have a discussion about it. This might not have been talked about during the rally, but that wasn't the point. The point was that 200,000+ people showed up to stand elbow-to-elbow in an open field, to hold up silly signs and get jostled by the crowd for three hours. Why? Because we, the "normal" people, matter too.


Jon Stewart:
Do you want to know why I'm here and what I want from you? I can only assure you this – you've already given it to me: Your presence was what I wanted. Sanity will always be and has always been in the eye of the beholder. And to see you here today, and the kind of people that you are, has restored mine.

PS. I still have a post coming on my D.C. trip/Texas wedding. I managed to squeeze some sightseeing in between my sanity-restoring.

PPS. Yes, I am aware that I am writing this on a late Tuesday night, which means that I already know the election results. Yes, I still have faith – but believe me, watching the live coverage of the blood bath was not fun.

2 comments:

dsbs42 said...

Hey, I just came over from your comments on my own blog and got super excited about your love of Jon Stewart and The Who. A Quick One's an awesome song.

Anyway, totally jealous you got to go to the rally. As a Canadian in school, I really couldn't justify it. Good luck with your CBRIII!

denesteak said...

Thanks! I do love the Quick One but the original video i had chosen, that's since been taken down, has the drummer doing crazy handwork. He most certainly was on something and it was glorious...