Thursday, October 15, 2009

Godtopus worship time


I am about to embark on a personal project! Pajiba is having its second round of the Cannonball Read and I am jumping on the bandwagon this time. The deal is to read as much as possible, and blog about each book I read. Last year, Pajibans aimed for a hundred books (which I just think is incredibly daunting) but reduced this year's goal to an attainable 52. Phew. I could - maybe, possibly - do that.

Also, this will get me not only more motivated to read, but also to blog, and we know I have a real problem with keeping this thing regular. I'm so uninspired with my life right now that maybe a little fiction and non-fiction can get my brain moving again.

Recently, I moved into a new apartment with two roommates, and I took a quick glance at their book shelves. One of them has books that deal with 4th grade reading, math and literature (she's a teacher, not an idiot) and the other roommate has a bookshelf with an eclectic collections of randoms (I read the Velveteen Rabbit two nights ago for the first time! From her bookshelf!) Or maybe I just think so because I read so little and know so little about books. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is I have lots of material to choose from!

I think this will also give me a chance to finish books that I have previously started and failed to finish. For example, I am currently trying to get through Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter S. Thompson, but for the love of all gonzo journalism, I can't seem to get into the groove of his writing (please don't throw books at me.) So that is probably something I should make a goal of finishing.

I'm really excited about this. I mean, this is gonna sound really cheesy and fan-girl-ish, but doing this makes me feel like I am a part of Pajiba. This is probably the first time I have mentioned this here, but Pajiba is such a big part of my life - I check that website like I check my Gmail. I've been reading that site for 4 years (Holy cow) and I love everything they do. I love the movie reviews, I love the commenters, I love the community and the inside jokes (and I high-five myself when I get it).

I really, really hope I will be able to keep up with the Cannonball Read and not let "life" get in the way.

*I know that's Godtopussy and not Godtopus, but I really like the ribbon. Because I am a girl.

No comments: